Your Asbestos Removal Trainings Questions answered | Industry Training Academy NZ

Do I have to sit a Remove Non-Friable Asbestos (B-Class) - US29765 certificate before I sit the Remove Friable Asbestos (A-Class) - US29766?


Do I need to have prior experience before sitting the Remove Non-Friable Asbestos (B-Class) - US29765 or Remove Friable Asbestos (A-Class) - US29766 certificates?

No, the course is designed for new people entering the industry.

If you’re working under a Remove Non-Friable Asbestos (B-Class) - US29765 License and only want to carry out B Class work is there any point in me doing the Remove Friable Asbestos (A-Class) - US29766 certificate?

No, just do the Remove Non-Friable Asbestos (B-Class) – US29765

If I want to be a Supervisor do I have to do the Remove Friable Asbestos (A-Class) - US29766 first?

The following is the answer straight from WorkSafe – There are recognition of prior learning facets available. However whether there is the requirement to do a Class A workers course is up to the training provider – WorkSafe would expect to see some sort of evaluation of the RPL to ascertain whether the COC holder does meet the Class A worker course before being provided this certificate. Industry Training Academy’s best advice is to do the A Class first as we have already had one client rejected for Supervisor by WorkSafe, after receiving this advice from them.

Licensing – How does this work?

The company owns the license and there have to be supervisors named on the license (the business owner can be one of the named supervisors).

IP402 is it going to be recognised?

The BOHS qualifications are recognised by NZQA and WorkSafe

NZQA – are the Australian qualifications equivalent?

Yes, but only if the full range of assessment and practical learning was carried out (Refer to the Unit Standards).

In Australia the governing body is required to maintain the same standards as NZQA requires. If the training did not include a thorough practical component then the training is invalid and this should be reported to Worksafe NZ.

IP404 versus assessor training?

The BOHS is an international qualification and is a more thorough course and internationally recognised.   However, stay tuned as we are developing a new NZQA course that will align with the IP404 which will mean there is the opportunity for candidates to sit both examinations and attain both qualifications.

I did Australian training and there was no practical element to the training. Is this training valid?

The answer is NO!    All asbestos removal training must include the practical assessment covering all aspects of the Unit Standard. If your training was provided that did not cover all of the practical aspects, then this is in contravention with the Education Act NZ. You should ask for your money back.

This should be reported to worksafe NZ as this will likely put your life at risk as well as your employer at risk of prosecution if the training did not follow the agreed Unit Standards regardless if it was the Australian or New Zealand training.

If I employ a temporary contractor to remove asbestos, do they have to be qualified?

Yes, all workers contracted to remove asbestos need to have a Remove Friable Asbestos (A-Class) – US29766 or Remove Non-Friable Asbestos (B-Class) – US29765 certificate. They cannot work on a site without one of these qualifications. However, if the site contains only B Class asbestos, ie; non-friable, and is less than 10 square metres then non-qualified workers can remove it.

Can I remove the asbestos from my own home?

If you are working on your own home you can remove your own asbestos – however, this is not advised unless you have sought professional advice from someone who knows about asbestos and the safe ways of dealing with it. If the total area of asbestos is less than 10 square metres in total it can be removed by a contractor without a license or qualification as long as it is non-friable.

It would be very beneficial if you are going to do your own removal to undertake either the US29765 (B Class) or US29766 (A Class) Course, before attempting to undertake any asbestos removal on your private dwelling.