This course is designed to provide an awareness and develop the knowledge among employees as regards to the hazards and risks posed by ACMs and overview of the NZ legislative requirements.
These are courses that we have developed to meet the demand for a more generalised knowledge about asbestos and the dangers it poses for trades people.
More in-depth working with asbestos materials directly affecting trades people.
To provide an awareness and develop the knowledge among employees as regards to the hazards and risks posed by ACMs. The course further provides an overview of the NZ legislative requirements in place for employees to safeguard themselves and others affected by work activities.
The aim of this training unit is to reduce the amount of harm caused to demolition workers and those workers in the refurbishment, maintenance and allied trades who may be exposed to asbestos containing materials (ACMs) during the course of their employment. The courses can be tailored to particular trades.
This course will assist employers in meeting their requirement for training by explaining the properties of asbestos and its effects on the health of individuals, the types, uses and likely occurrences of asbestos and ACMs in buildings and plant, the general procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency and how to avoid the risks from ACMs.
- Identify and understand the properties of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs);
- Outline the key legislative requirements pertaining to the management of Asbestos in accordance with the HSWA (Asbestos) Regulations 2016;
- Explain the immediate action plan for damaged buildings / structures that contain asbestos in respect of controlling the release of asbestos fibres;
- Identify Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) / Respiratory Protective Devices (RPD) and conduct Personal decontamination; and
- Undertake non-licensed work under 10metres squared of bonded material.